Sunglasses Experiment #1139

OMG! We have Tower Gardens in each of our schools! What a great idea to check to see if those lights emit some type of UV light! This fits great with our elementary Science topics - plants and also light.

2 Likes

This is one experiment that students will have fun with, it is so relatable and answers the question “why are we learning this”. I did it with my Grandchildren and daughter, she was pleased with her Oakley sunglasses but was concerned about the children’s sunglasses even though they fared ok but not like her expensive ones.

1 Like

Love the idea of the eclipse glasses!

1 Like

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum? It fits with the electromagnetic spectrum unit.
Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?
I think the biggest support needed would be for students to be consistent in how the glasses are held and that the sensor is the same distance away. I would have them use a clamp stand to help with that.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson?
I would be an observer for this lesson unless they were stuck. I think this activity is intuitive enough that my students wouldn’t need much guidance.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
Students would be activity engaged and asking to try other objects like defraction grading or spectroscope lenses and even more types of glasses.

1 Like

Love the enthusiasm of the students! I am excited about these lessons as I haven’t seen my students show such curiousity in quite some time. You are not horrible - they have excitement for the upcoming year!

1 Like

Living on the coast, you would think more students would have sunglasses - however, it is often ‘dark’ enough that they aren’t needed. My students in Nevada were way more up to the know on sunglasses.
Next year, I will be teaching all the basics and we have several lessons on light - this will be easy to incorporate and I look forward to the challenge of finding the best sunglasses for our poor eyes!
This lesson seems to be a bit easier and I think I would have more time to ‘listen’ rather than assist. I am more excited for next year

1 Like
  1. Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
    a. This lesson would fit quite nicely with our high-school space entrepreneur curriculum lesson talking about using solar panels on Mars as a source of renewable energy. Along with helping determine how much solar energy is available, the Seeduino and sensor can provide an extension activity to consider UV protection for future Mars inhabitants.
  2. Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?
    a. Determining an accurate and consistent testing method and be sure to work in pairs/small teams! It was difficult to test the sunglasses, see the readings, and record them while holding everything.
  3. If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson? a. Quality check to ensure their testing methods were accurate between all pairs of sunglasses.
  4. If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like? a. Light-bulb moments, empowerment due to learning new skills, excitement at experimenting, and feeling more informed about making health-conscious decisions regarding protection from UV rays.
    Sunglasses%20Experiment
1 Like

I really like this idea, Sally! Kudos! This inspired me to see about including something like activity in our new Hydroponics Design Challenge, where students can test different kinds of lights and see which ones are better for plant growth.

1 Like

I’m not sure on the origin of how it ended up in the school. I just know that it’s there and the staff has been trying to decide how best to use it … and how to get used to the constant sound of running water.

1 Like

IMG_3744%20(1)|666x500

@Joshua.Robbins Me too, I love this activity. I did it in my classroom with my kids who are growing plants looking for phototropism. They loved it!

IMG_3744%20(1)

1 Like

I really liked your connection on using this experiment to relate to UV protection for future Mars inhabitants. This experiment connects directly with our Ontario grade 10 Science unit in light and optics, what a great idea to further use this experiment!

1 Like

1. Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
This lesson fits directly with the Ontario grade 10 Science curriculum unit on Light & Optics. I also really liked the mention of a previous participant about using the concept to discuss UV protection for future Mars inhabitants. In this regard, it also works nicely with the Ontario grade 9 Science curriculum on Space Exploration.

2. Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?
I think students would need support holding all the components and recording their data. The experiment would be conducted in groups of 3-4 students. That way there would be enough hands to hold the sensor consistently (and the rest of the circuit board, battery, etc…), hold the sunglasses, and record data. Another item that might be helpful would be using the cut in half paper towel roll (like presented in the introductory video). I cupped my hand around the back of the sensor and sunglasses. I think it might be easer if the sensor was under the paper towel roll and remained stationary and the sunglasses were moved over the opening of the paper towel roll.

3. If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher do during this lesson?
A successful teacher circulates around the room and ensures groups are progressing, gathering data, and repeating the experiment consistently with each pair of sunglasses.

4. If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
Student success looks like student actively engaged in the task, discussing the concepts and gathering data that they can interpret and reflect on to draw conclusions.20220430_150543

1 Like