Sunglasses Experiment #1139

Yes! School windows is a good idea to test as well!

Another great way to use the sensor!!! I am working on an integrated unit that is solving problems to help us get from Earth --> moon --> Mars. I could see us using this to learn how to develop an investigation and they would need to select the best material to make a visor for the astronaut helmet. We could use the lenses of the sunglasses to investigate.

I just posted mine before reading your response. Great minds think alike! :smile:

What a fun and practical activity! I would pair this activity with my activity measuring light levels in our classroom. How do different materials used as blinds in the classroom affect these readings?

This has tons of practical applications, and includes a straightforward use of the sensors. I don’t think there would be many difficulties for the students. I see this providing a quick win for the boys in terms of sensor set up.

I would love to use this as a springboard activity and challenge the boys to explore further about how they could use and display data.

I agree about the need for specific support when using data to create graphs. My boys need the same support, despite repeated graphic activities!

This lesson was a true eye opener because the glasses I used daily did not do so well in this experiment. For students this was the quickest one which helped me to focus on the content more and be able to go back to discussion with students. There is no area right now where this would fit since I do not talk about UV rays at all; however, this would work really well when we talk about making predictions and see how it turns out as well as using this for proper note taking.
The parts where students would need support is being able to determine how to keep the position consistent. Group work again saved the day with this. Some students came up with the idea of attaching it to cardboard so it would stay still.
Mainly for this task, I as the teacher would prompt students thinking about other ways they can use this and what other conditions we can measure using this sensor. The students worked on understanding the new terms discussed and completing the tasks. This was a fun project for them because they got to get up and go by the window or for some classes, outside.

@TechTchr That’s a good idea to have students create visors. This would be an excellent engineering design challenge. I love how much I can learn from others on here!
I used the paper tube as well. It was a good option. Kept it consistent for mine a bit more.

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
I think this was my favorite of all of the lessons in this course. It’s so simple for the students to setup, it demonstrates how the Seeduino can easily collect good data, and it’s a topic that my students would easily understand and be interested in. I would include this during our unit on the electromagnetic spectrum and the properties of light.

Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?
I don’t think there are any areas of this lesson that would prove to be overly challenging for my middle school students. I would need to remind them about the importance of keeping certain variables constant (such as the distance between the sunglasses and the sensor, keeping the angle of the sunlight coming in the same, etc.) throughout the experiment.

If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson?
I think I would be a facilitator for this lesson - available to answer questions as needed. I would circulate and ask questions to determine my students’ knowledge of the topic.

If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
Student success for this experiment would be to be able to make the sensor, collect the data, and analyze the data to draw a conclusion.

There are lots of possible extension ideas for this lesson:

-Do different colored lenses affect the UV protection?
-Is the UV light different at different times of the day?
-Are there any indoor lights that give off UV rays?

This lesson would be an easy lesson to implement in the classroom. Students would enjoy testing their own sunglasses. The Seeduino was able to rapidly collect data that students could use to evaluate their sunglasses.

The biggest challenge for them would be in trying to keep the glasses the same distance above the sensor so that the test would be “fair”. I could extend the lesson by having them use different colored lenses, polarized lenses, and maybe even glasses made for eclipses.

Successful students would have devised a method to keep each pair of glasses equidistant from the sensor. They would have collected their data and analyzed it to make a conclusion.