Sound Waves Experiment #1756

Yes, sometimes the wiring can be confusing. One suggestion is to have students check other student’s work to make sure the set up is correct.

1 Like

Great way to teach not just the coding but the mechanics and physics of making sound.

2 Likes

This would be something new for me to teach. But I could definitely use it from a coding perspective.

I had fun modifying the code and trying to figure out how to modify the notes. I really wanted to complete that song “never gonna give you up”.

Of cause the kids would have no idea about the song, however they could attempt to recreate something else.

Definitely a fitting song for this group!

Hi everyone,
Sorry I’m so late to the game here. I really enjoyed this activity! I do a project in class where one aspect has us look at noise levels across the school buildings, but the sensor we use isn’t particularly clear or easy to make sense of the data that we get back. I can already envision this taking that activity to the next level.
Currently we code that sensor using a micro:bit, so moving to the arduino coding might prove tricky, but it’s a challenge I want to explore!

1 Like

I wonder if you could use ambient sound? Possibly create ambient soundscapes or compare existing ambient recordings, rather than dive headfirst into the creation of music?

2 Likes

@KCocco any ideas to help @gryerson with the data?

Great to hear of your upcoming progression of micro:bit to arduino coding.

This lesson had significant layers. It was very interesting and informative, but it would take much more time to cover this lesson and all it’s components than previous lessons. I would start by reviewing the vocabulary and using supplemental materials (ie: videos) to help discuss and review the concepts behind sound. Very cool!

This lesson would fit when discussing sound waves and any type of frequency. This is a great lesson to actually show how the sounds differ at different frequency instead of just explaining it to students.
The code aspect and understanding the different frequencies right away may be difficult for some. Some music students may be able to offer assistance and explaining it. It may help to have a visual guide or an oscilloscope to explain this better. Also, getting the pins in the right place could be difficult because the piezo pins essentially disappear when they are put in the breadboard. Marking it by writing the numbers down may help students.
As a teacher, I would be mainly facilitating and walking around ensuring students are able to accomplish what they need to to get the sounds. I will ensure students are changing the code and not just keeping the code the same. Meanwhile, students would need to actively connect the parts, and run the code with different changes in order to create a unique song.
20200709_171451

That’s a great point about the vocabulary! I’m gonna use that. I often forget vocabulary and the fact that students are just learning some of these things for the first time. Thanks!

@ArdusatExplorer-9156 The image was not as clear, but I think the intro helps a bit and reminding students that ground is negative and as which parts of the bread board is connected so it works correctly. Great point!

1 Like
  1. Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)? This lesson was actually quite timely for me! My seventh graders are learning about waves and the electromagnetic spectrum. While sound waves are quite different than EM waves, the basics of waves is the same. This lesson is a very good way for students to be able to experience the characteristics of waves rather than just memorizing their meaning.

2. Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful? If they had done the previous lessons, I don’t think they’d need much help. If this was done as a standalone lesson, I would need to help with the wiring and showing them how to change the code.

3. If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson? I would envision my role as both a facilitator (to help them with wiring, coding, etc.) and an educator (to lead a discussion to ensure they are making the connections between what they are doing and what they’ve learned about waves).

4. If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like? Student success for this lesson would be seeing that they have a deeper understanding of waves and their properties.

This would be a great lesson when teaching sound and waves. They would have fun learning about the characteristics of waves. They would enjoy changing the frequency and the tone.