Solar Oven Experiment #1593

Awesome to add the egg! I haven’t seen that done with our AstroSchool group before.

That’s a good idea, there was a thermometer attached to the front of the box but I don’t know how accurate it was.

There is a little non-volatile EEPROM memory on the Seeeduino/Arduino UNO. You can store 1024 bytes of data. 1 byte could store a number (0-255) like degrees Fahrenheit w/out decimal Maybe an advanced coding challenge for a student: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/EEPROM
I also really like the OpenLog for writing serial data SD card: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13712

I’m afraid I don’t think I can complete this one. I must have done something to the sensor because when I plug it up it smells like it’s burning.

Getting some of the Magic Smoke. Yes, please don’t use, it sounds like it’s dead. Likely some short on the board. NP, I will ship you a new board. Would you please send the address you would like to have the board sent to support@becauselearning.com

As a proud Canadian I, sadly, have not been able to properly test this out myself yet. We’re just not QUITE there yet, weather-wise.
In the past I have done a geography project where we built solar ovens, but certainly not to this level. My initial thinking is that it is a simple set-up to get the sensors working, so that’s good!
I envision that there would be lots of opportunities for personalization of this activity. I am thinking that the temperature data would work well if I could switch this over to be related to some global warming investigations.
I also really like the maker implications of this. It’s a great way to marry the concepts of coding with the concepts of making!

1 Like

Battery is a great idea!

That’s awesome! This has so many possible connections to those ideas. I’d love to see some of the things your students create!

1 Like

Unfortunately it is raining and cold out, so I wasn’t able to go through the actual experiment. However, I am very excited to try this with students when we are back in school. I’ve been brainstorming a cooking unit next year with students, and this would be a great way to create an additional learning connection for students.

1 Like

First, of all, the video, slides, and resources were great! Thank you! As an educator, I see a multitude of opportunities, connections, phenomenon, and student engagment. I would like to students to attempt to complete the task, but provide their documentation of their design process along the way.

1 Like

Love the idea of having the students keep a lab journal to document this project!

I love this idea and honestly did not expect it to work as well!
I think this work well with a lesson about the sun and it’s power! Also, an engineering lesson about using old tools in new ways. Foil paper is used often in my classroom and it was great to see a new way to use it.
Students would need to be monitored because this activity results in something that is very hot. I do not think they would need much help after an initial explanation because the set up part seems self explanatory in a way.
Again, I would be a facilitator in this lesson ensuring students have done things the right way including taping and making sure there is no air getting out. Students would do most of the work on this assignment. I think working in groups would be best for this since it saves on time. Different roles can be given to students like setting up the oven, setting up the arduino, taking notes, and writing down the data.

1 Like

@sobelle That is a great point of bringing the technology into this! So often, teachers do not know how tech would fit in, and it could be as simple as collecting the data using a new tool.

1 Like

It is raining in sunny Florida so I am unable to test out a solar oven. I was hoping to use this with a solar oven made out of a pringles can. I also have a solar cooker made out of an old golf umbrella. It would be interesting to compare the temperature.

I have done solar ovens with my students in the past when we study heat transfer and characteristics of light (reflection, etc.). We used a non-contact thermometer to see the changes in the heat. I love the idea of using the Seeduino to more accurately track the heat.

For me today, the weather wasn’t ideal - the Sun was in and out of the clouds. Despite that, I reached the target temperature in 25 minutes.

I hope I can use this with my students. I think they’ll really enjoy being able to see the temperature change on the computer when it’s connected to the board and sensor.

A pringles can! Would love to see pics if you build it!

A fun design challenge for students to see which design is more efficient in generating heat!