Solar Oven Experiment #1593

Awesome to add the egg! I haven’t seen that done with our AstroSchool group before.

That’s a good idea, there was a thermometer attached to the front of the box but I don’t know how accurate it was.

There is a little non-volatile EEPROM memory on the Seeeduino/Arduino UNO. You can store 1024 bytes of data. 1 byte could store a number (0-255) like degrees Fahrenheit w/out decimal Maybe an advanced coding challenge for a student: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/EEPROM
I also really like the OpenLog for writing serial data SD card: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13712

I’m afraid I don’t think I can complete this one. I must have done something to the sensor because when I plug it up it smells like it’s burning.

Getting some of the Magic Smoke. Yes, please don’t use, it sounds like it’s dead. Likely some short on the board. NP, I will ship you a new board. Would you please send the address you would like to have the board sent to support@becauselearning.com

As a proud Canadian I, sadly, have not been able to properly test this out myself yet. We’re just not QUITE there yet, weather-wise.
In the past I have done a geography project where we built solar ovens, but certainly not to this level. My initial thinking is that it is a simple set-up to get the sensors working, so that’s good!
I envision that there would be lots of opportunities for personalization of this activity. I am thinking that the temperature data would work well if I could switch this over to be related to some global warming investigations.
I also really like the maker implications of this. It’s a great way to marry the concepts of coding with the concepts of making!

Battery is a great idea!

That’s awesome! This has so many possible connections to those ideas. I’d love to see some of the things your students create!

Unfortunately it is raining and cold out, so I wasn’t able to go through the actual experiment. However, I am very excited to try this with students when we are back in school. I’ve been brainstorming a cooking unit next year with students, and this would be a great way to create an additional learning connection for students.

First, of all, the video, slides, and resources were great! Thank you! As an educator, I see a multitude of opportunities, connections, phenomenon, and student engagment. I would like to students to attempt to complete the task, but provide their documentation of their design process along the way.

Love the idea of having the students keep a lab journal to document this project!