Quickstart Guide

Hi Victoria,

From what you’re describing, it sounds like you are good to proceed. Let me know if you have any more problems or questions.

Kristi,
I see what you’re talking about as far as the corner being chipped. Not sure if that’s going to affect functionality. Let’s try it and see.
I believe that OLED has 4 pins on the other side (looks like this)
OLED

For this type OLED, you’ll need to connect those 4 pins with the jumper wires (that look like this)
jumper%20wires

3 of the 4 labels should be straightforward - GND, SCL, and SDA are 3 of the top 4 ports on the top right of the board (if you’re holding it with the power connection at the top like this drawing) seeeduino - note that the GND port is covered up in the drawing by the cable to the OLED. It’s just above #13.

The VCC pin needs to be connected to the 3V3 port on the top left (4th down from the top). Make sure the VCC switch at the top is slid towards 3V3 as opposed to 5V.

If you manually connect those pins as described (and the OLED is still functional) - you should get output on the display. This experiment - https://ehub.ardusat.com/experiments/4650 - is a good one to test with. (This is what was loaded on the Arduino when it was sent out.) If you make the connections as described and load this program and still don’t get output on your OLED - it is bad and will need to be replaced.

Hi there
I can’t get anything going…I emailed a couple days ago for support, but have not heard back. I received my sensor kit late to start the Astroschool cohort, and was already behind!
I can download the driver zip files and have the extension. When I plug in the seeeduino nothing happens at all. No failed attempt, nothing. When I look under device manager, I can see The USB serial device like someone else has reported. But, I can’t do anything with it. I try to update the device driver, and it says everything is up to date. I have attempted moving on, have plugged in the other components, but see nothing on the OLED screen. I even have no idea where that ‘code’ is supposed to appear. I am assuming on my computer screen, but nothing is happening.

Super frustrated! I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on this so far and have gotten nowhere! HA.

I have disabled the extension and used the other option listed…and i can click the blue arduino button to connect to it, I see graphs, but nothing displayed ont the OLED. Am I supposed to see something there?

Sorry you’re having trouble. Let’s see if we can either get you going or gather some more information about what’s going on.

To figure out if the driver is installed correctly and to verify that your computer can communicate with the board - the simplest program is Blink - https://ehub.ardusat.com/experiments/2073, but we can make it even simpler. The version in the link wants you to make a circuit and the program will make an LED connected to the breadboard blink, but - if you go to the code editor (black background area below “Load Code” header) and replace the three occurrences of 13 with LED_BUILTIN) - this changes the code to light up an LED on the Arduino and you can skip all of the parts of building the circuit using the breadboard and external components.

In other words, find the code that looks like this:
void setup(void)
{
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

void loop(void)
{
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(13, LOW);
delay(1000);
}

and change it to look like this:

void setup() {
pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);
delay(1000);
}

Then click the Run on Arduino blue button below the code and watch the progress bar. If it goes all the way from left to right without displaying an error and if an LED on the Arduino/Seeeduino board starts blinking, the driver is installed and working and you’re ready to proceed.
If nothing happens - we need to spend more time on getting the driver installed. Please let me know the results of this.

Jeff Trotman
DreamUp

Hi Jeff
Thanks for your help. I followed your instructions above in Blink, and I ‘think’ that it is working. It went through left to right and said the code was entered successfully. I can see a blue light blinking beside the plug in to my USB for computer.
But. my OLED display is not working at all. When I connect it, I don’t see anything on it. I have attempted it many times.I have a tiny OLED, similar to what someone else posted, and I followed your suggestion there (although the wires we were given look different than what you suggested). Nothing shows up.

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
The application of arudino-based lessons in my classroom provide students with opportunities to see how data can be collected using electronic sensors in real-life settings.
Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?
I need to be prepared to ensure that all software is loaded and that students have been trained how to properly handle the equipment before the lesson.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson?
A successful teacher needs to be able to assist. The teacher needs to circulate around the room checking to ensure that students understand the material.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
Student success is not simply completing the task, but also seeking to understand what is happening. Students should seek to follow instructions and also be humble enough to ask questions when they need help.

1 Like

I agree - students working as partners is a good idea. That way, they can support one another and seek to answer their own questions without solely relying upon the teacher.

1 Like

Our students are young (K-3) so the setup would need to be pre-loaded for them…However, we do a lot of “notice and wonder” activities that lead to great questions and I see a lot of potential with the sensors for them to notice. I liked the notion of “move your hand closer, move your hand further away”. This could be a great activity for them that could lead to new conversations. We have a tower garden in our STEAM Lab that is new this year and the students could use the sensor to check on different variables and it would be a great introduction to gathering data in a child-friendly way!

1 Like

Hi Celine, it sounds like we might need to connect one on one to troubleshoot what the problem might be. I’ve reached out directly via e-mail to schedule a time, so please check your inbox. In the meantime, can you confirm that the plugs in your OLED are plugged in as pictured here?:

OLED%20Set%20Up

I agree with you - student success is not just completing a task but understanding the ‘hows’ and ‘whys’. Too often, our students are so focused on checking boxes they lose their sense of wonder and curiosity. I am hoping these types of projects might help my students to gain confidence to wonder and experiment.

I was just finally able to connect at the end of last week and am just catching up. I am hoping to learn quickly

1 Like

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
I am hoping that we can use some of these lessons with our robotics group and also in my environmental science class - if the students are able to program some sensors to help with some of the other projects they are working on.
Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?
To start with, all of this is new - there might be extra support needed just to get them going.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson?
Teacher success will be having students excited and wanting more. As a teacher, I am hoping I will be able to assist and learn with the students.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
I think the students will be successful if they are wondering why and trying to make some changes. Also, if they are wondering what’s next.