Featured: Mike Arbuckle

Teacher Spotlight

Name: Mike Arbuckle

School: George Long Elementary

Teaching Motto/favorite teaching quote: “Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later”

Who was your favorite teacher? Why? My 8th grade teacher, Mr. Miller was my favorite because he inspired us to be our best. He gave us opportunities to fail but taught us how to overcome those failures and be successful.

What are three things every teacher should own? Coffee pot (a lot of it), journal for funny things kids say (I could have wrote a book by now), and stock in erasers (mistakes are always proof that you are trying)

If you could have any person (living, dead or fictional) as a principal, who would it be? Morgan Freeman (amazing man and I respect the heck out of him)

What profession other than your own would you most like to attempt? Farming (I own 300 pigs)

Describe your all-time favorite lesson/unit activity. My students are currently looking at case studies of disabled farmers and they are designing new tools to assist them on their farms based on their disability. The students are so proud of themselves and they have learned the true value of empathy and helping others.

How did you know you wanted to be a teacher? I always knew I wanted to be an educator. I have a passion for working with kids and making a positive impact on their lives. Being a educator has be the most rewarding experience.

Favorite Ardusat activity? We love a lot of them. But I think our favorite is building the light show. Some of our kids successfully had 10 to 12 lights going to the beat of music.

2 Likes