Color Mixing with RGB LED #1754

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
Although this lesson doesn’t fit in directly, the students were making connections to their art classes and color mixing with paint and understanding technology (screens, gaming codes, etc.). They felt great success with even making the light illuminate and the flashing speeds, so it was a great confidence builder for them to begin trial of different colors without fear of failing/messing up.
Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?
Everything was manageable for the students and laid out well for the students. They struggled most with manipulating the numbers of the code. Some guidance in this area would have been helpful for them, but they did a great job navigating it and learning from their experiences.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson?
I tend to stand back and let them dive in (because it is such a small group) and they challenge each other more than I could ever even imagine! They think of things I don’t think of! This lesson lends itself to trial and error with the lesson questions prompting the students well enough to guide them. I am able to enjoy their successes rather than demanding an outcome!
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
Student success is students figuring out how to change the colors, manipulate the code, change it back, use the Potentiometer and consider other uses/applications of this tech in their every day lives. I would also like to see students think of how this impacts their every day activities and interactions with technology each day.

2 Likes

I love that the percents/ratios fit so nicely into your curriculum! I NEED this to fit into 5th, so I can justify using it! LOL Right now, I just implement with a small enrichment group, but they are all DREAMING of the day they get to code the “computer chip!” I’ll keep looking for my “in”!

3 Likes

Great connection with art! I need to get on your level Becky. On percents and ratios, it is never too early, 5th grade or not, to get those students realizing fractions are proportionally equivalent to decimal and percentage representations! Keep doing what your doing!

1 Like

I really like your idea of using the RGB lesson to practice Ratios, Percents, and Decimals. I am starting that topic next week and this will provide a high-interest way for the kids to experiment with the arduino while secretly learning math and gaining more exposure to variables. I do a lot with formal lab report writing in the beginning of the year, but this would be great to use halfway through the year as a reminder of variables and data collection.
The tricky part would be the wiring set up, where they may need a little support, but after that they should be fairly confident working with the code to change the color ratios. Student success will be easily visible in their ever-changing lights and they will also have the formal record of their ratio data to hand in. I love when math and science go hand and hand!

1 Like

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
This fit great with our curriculum because our curriculum for this ‘class’ is learning how to use the sensor kit :slight_smile:
After reading some of your comments I want to use the RGB lesson to practice Ratios, Percents, and Decimals - that is brilliant thinking - thank you!

Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?

It took a bit to figure out the number portion of the code for changing colors - a little tutorial or mini-lesson would probably have been great, otherwise they did fabulous and had a lot of fun with it.

If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson?
Because my students have had some experience I can watch them explore and figure things out. It’s exciting and fun to listen them want to try out different things. Some are more excited then others but they do help each other and I think when students teach students everyone learns a ton more than if it was just me telling/directing them what to do next :slight_smile: It’s a lot of fun to watch the patience and kindness they can show each other (on a good day of course)

If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
I beleive success is when the students figure out how to change the colors, manipulate the code, change it back, use the Potentiometer and consider other uses/applications for how to this technology is used within the real world outside the classroom. When they say “ohhh so that’s how it’s done - awesomel” especially when they make the connection with video games, TV programs, Movies, artwork etc. that they enjoy. When they realize that there’s alot of math and science that goes into the creation of the things they use everyday, that it’s ‘cool’, and that they can be part of creating those ‘amazing things’ it’s a good day.

2 Likes

This was a very interesting lesson, but agree that it is difficult to see some of the holes for inserting the pins. During use of the potentiometer, I had to use a different hole than the diagram showed because there was not enough room. Despite this, it worked out.
This would fit with middle grade physical sciences and the study of wavelengths.
I would introduce this lesson and then explain the setup. I would provide students with kits that were already wired. At each change, I would have a para work with students and explain the new setup.
I would definitely be more hands-on with this lesson than with others due to the more complex wiring. I would work with one group and then observe other groups.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like? This lesson (and many of the Beyond Learning lessons) has additional tasks that groups can do. That means students newer to coding can get experience at that level and more advanced students can continue with extension activities that meet those needs. Success means all students engaged and asking questions and building understanding.

2 Likes

I like the idea as using this as a history lesson for digital design. Colors and color perception are important in nearly everything we do these days. I think it will be interesting for my students with visual impairments to determine the different colors that they can see. It will definitely be a fun motivator!

2 Likes

I had some fun with this lab. I enjoy messing around with LED’s but have never programmed one. With this I was able to mix the colors and make whatever color I wanted based upon the numbers I gave the red, blue and green. I could see how this would be good when wanting to show a certain color for a certain result. I am not sure how to do it with two separate LED’s, but with one it was fun changing colors and using the potentiometer to change the flashing speed and colors. When the colors blinked real fast you got the pure white that happens when all three colors were mixed.

1 Like

When the LED turns white, it’s a great phenomenon for students to see!

This year we Science and Art collaborated so students can make projects using led lights, batteries, and electrical tape (circuits). This lesson might serve as a further development where students can explore how different lights can create colors. Students will need support in understanding the 0-255 values, and maybe a review on why the cables go where they go.

My role would be to help them troubleshoot any connections and challenge them to think about the different numerical values in the code. Student success can be measured by having them describe how and why the LED blinks a different color, why when you put all the colors together, you get white, and then have them explain how different values influenced the results (color).

Another idea for a lesson could be to explore how our computer screens create colors and have the students do this hands-on lesson to understand the concept.

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum?
This could fit in with my unit on waves, light, and EMS. I could offer this as an additional/optional activity for students to do to get a better handle on color/light mixing.

Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support to be successful?
It is difficult to see where to connect materials to the breadboard. I managed ok with my readers. I am sure some students would struggle, but in a group they should be able to help one another out and figure it out to be successful. The manipulating code part would be fun. I wonder if students would remember what they tried, or if they would keep a record of trials and errors.

I would offer to have a successful group write down the actual places on the breadboard for wiring on the board or airplay the information. I also would offer the suggestion for students to keep a record of the color mixing they tried, and their results. I think this would allow them to find a pattern quicker than relying on memory alone.

Students would have to not quit. They would need to trouble shoot when a wiring issue comes up, and persist to code the colors correctly. I like that multiple answers are available especially when they get to choose their own color.

The science behind the pixel was something totally new to me! I think this activity allows students to learn and explore the concept in such a fun way that they won’t even realize they are learning!!

This would not fit directly into any marine science class, but would be a fun activity to bring into our technology summer camp. The code is short and easy to modify, which is a bonus for students new to code. All the various changes that can be made to the LED (color, speed of change, amount of each color) provide several avenues for students to explore - which should keep them engaged.

I think students might need extra help using all of the wires and getting them placed in the correct ports. Fairly minimal extra support all in all, but I could see several students needing one on one help with this part which could make the activity frustrating at first if they can’t figure out the error quickly (and can see others being successful) with or without help.

1 Like

Picture is awesome, love it. Thanks for sharing!

Me too, I had a hard time seeing and am now making an appointment for an eye exam :joy: I like your idea of a magnification stand. I will get one so that if the students have a hard time seeing it, they can use it. Good idea!

1 Like

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum?
I could use this lesson when teaching photosynthesis and the visible light spectrum.

Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support to be successful?
The students will need help assembling the breadboard. They have little/no experience with this type of technology so they will need guidance. But, once it is assembled I think they will have a great time exploring how color works!

During this lesson I would rotate through the classroom helping students assemble. After assembly I would let them explore color and learn through playing.

Students would have to be patient and persistent - both skills needed by good scientists and engineers. Student success would be having students who reached the point of having a functioning breadboard, but more importantly having students who show curiosity and experiment with the lights all on their own.

It was a fun activity see the colors. Students usually like to work with LED’s so this activity would be nice for students to manipulate

1 Like

Not sure how I can fit this into my math curriculum but I can use this lesson for the STEM camp. In the STEM camp, students would need a lot of assistance with the board but I think they will have fun seeing the changing of the lights and manipulating the codes with help. Based on their age group (11-14 years old) and knowledge I can give different challenges for each group and see what they can come up with. Allowing the girls to experiment, play with it and have fun. The success for the students is through trial and error and learning from it.

This lesson brought me right back to my theater and video production studies in college and my first job directing a summer children’s theater program. I am proud to say my aging mind remembered color mixing with light and how that differs from pigment - many hours in light design both for stage and film. So…

I don’t see myself using this lesson in our MakerSpace as the wiring alone would be tricky for most of the little hands that come into my room; however, This would be a great tool if I ever dabbled back into theater with kids. The junior designers could work out the color programming by simply sitting with this code and experimenting with it before hitting the light board in the theater. This would give them the opportunity to work more closely with the mixing and really get to understand it.

Makes me want to find a side hustle working in a children’s theater again!!!

This is a perfect experiment for my Innovation Lab students. It fits perfectly with our other coding activities. I really liked changing the code to see different variables. Students will easily be able to setup the devices and execute the commands.

The pre-written Arduino sketch and experimentation with different Red, Green and Blue ratios was a great way to create different colors on the RGB LED. Using the potentiometer to mix colors was a nice addition.

As facilitator, I would oversee student projects and I would ask the groups to describe what is happening.

1 Like

This is definitely a fun activity for a camp program!