Color Mixing with RGB LED #1754

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
Although this lesson doesn’t fit in directly, the students were making connections to their art classes and color mixing with paint and understanding technology (screens, gaming codes, etc.). They felt great success with even making the light illuminate and the flashing speeds, so it was a great confidence builder for them to begin trial of different colors without fear of failing/messing up.
Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?
Everything was manageable for the students and laid out well for the students. They struggled most with manipulating the numbers of the code. Some guidance in this area would have been helpful for them, but they did a great job navigating it and learning from their experiences.
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson?
I tend to stand back and let them dive in (because it is such a small group) and they challenge each other more than I could ever even imagine! They think of things I don’t think of! This lesson lends itself to trial and error with the lesson questions prompting the students well enough to guide them. I am able to enjoy their successes rather than demanding an outcome!
If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
Student success is students figuring out how to change the colors, manipulate the code, change it back, use the Potentiometer and consider other uses/applications of this tech in their every day lives. I would also like to see students think of how this impacts their every day activities and interactions with technology each day.

I love that the percents/ratios fit so nicely into your curriculum! I NEED this to fit into 5th, so I can justify using it! LOL Right now, I just implement with a small enrichment group, but they are all DREAMING of the day they get to code the “computer chip!” I’ll keep looking for my “in”!

Great connection with art! I need to get on your level Becky. On percents and ratios, it is never too early, 5th grade or not, to get those students realizing fractions are proportionally equivalent to decimal and percentage representations! Keep doing what your doing!

I really like your idea of using the RGB lesson to practice Ratios, Percents, and Decimals. I am starting that topic next week and this will provide a high-interest way for the kids to experiment with the arduino while secretly learning math and gaining more exposure to variables. I do a lot with formal lab report writing in the beginning of the year, but this would be great to use halfway through the year as a reminder of variables and data collection.
The tricky part would be the wiring set up, where they may need a little support, but after that they should be fairly confident working with the code to change the color ratios. Student success will be easily visible in their ever-changing lights and they will also have the formal record of their ratio data to hand in. I love when math and science go hand and hand!

Where does this lesson fit in with your curriculum (if the lesson is not a fit for the class you teach, how could the lesson be modified so that it is applicable to your curriculum)?
This fit great with our curriculum because our curriculum for this ‘class’ is learning how to use the sensor kit :slight_smile:
After reading some of your comments I want to use the RGB lesson to practice Ratios, Percents, and Decimals - that is brilliant thinking - thank you!

Which part or parts of the lesson would your students need extra support in order to be successful?

It took a bit to figure out the number portion of the code for changing colors - a little tutorial or mini-lesson would probably have been great, otherwise they did fabulous and had a lot of fun with it.

If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your role during the class. What does a successful teacher actively do during this lesson?
Because my students have had some experience I can watch them explore and figure things out. It’s exciting and fun to listen them want to try out different things. Some are more excited then others but they do help each other and I think when students teach students everyone learns a ton more than if it was just me telling/directing them what to do next :slight_smile: It’s a lot of fun to watch the patience and kindness they can show each other (on a good day of course)

If you were to teach this lesson to your class, describe your student’s role during the class. What does “student success” look like?
I beleive success is when the students figure out how to change the colors, manipulate the code, change it back, use the Potentiometer and consider other uses/applications for how to this technology is used within the real world outside the classroom. When they say “ohhh so that’s how it’s done - awesomel” especially when they make the connection with video games, TV programs, Movies, artwork etc. that they enjoy. When they realize that there’s alot of math and science that goes into the creation of the things they use everyday, that it’s ‘cool’, and that they can be part of creating those ‘amazing things’ it’s a good day.