AstroSchool Spring 2022

Hello! My name is Loralie and I live in the mountains of Utah on a small family farm where we are 100% off grid and love it! I am the co-founder of the Pearce Project; a thirty year ongoing mission aimed at building and raising five wildly independent, amazing humans, wrangling a menagerie of farm animals, and putting out rocket fires (literally) in an attempt to help send our resident Alien to his planet of choice – Mars!
I am a homeschooler mum, the editor for Heber Valley Life Magazine, and a free lance writer for Nugent magazine. I write and illustrate children’s picture books, and both middle grade and young adult novels. I am passionate about learning and teaching and love challenging students to think outside the box, go big, and never give up!
I currently sit on the Douglas Space and Science Foundation Board; working with amazing scientists, educators, and others, as we look towards opening a Space and Science Museum in Ogden, Utah. I can’t wait to see how we can introduce and use BecauseLearning in our STAR camp summer programs! You can learn more by visiting www.douglassciencecenter.org and you can chat with me at lp.douglassciencecenter@gmail.com

3 Likes

Hey Josh! Good to see your involved too! Should be a great experience!

1 Like

Hi… I’m Steve Oswald and I live in Durango, CO with my wife and our Chocolate Lab. But, in a previous life, I was fortunate to fly fighter/attack airplanes for the Navy and eventually I was hired by NASA where I spent 16 years flying Shuttle and supporting others during their flights. I flew on Discovery twice (STS-42 & 56), then on Endeavour as Commander of STS-67.

I can’t tell you how important it is that you’re involved in AstroSchool and ASE is excited to help you better understand space. Our kids need to be excited about all things STEM and teaching them about space will hopefully motivate them to stay the course in the more difficult science & math curriculums. I was fortunate to get a lot of encouragement from my parents, but I had some incredible teachers along the way and they provided me with the foundation I needed to do well at the Naval Academy in Aerospace Engineering, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I hope that you enjoy your time at AstroSchool!

3 Likes

Pam, if I’m not mistaken, I think you were you a PAEMST winner a few years back. If so, we sat together at one of the dinners at the award banquet! I am not surprised to see you here with your love of helping others learn about space and being an ambassador. Good running into you here!

1 Like