AstroSchool Cohort Spring 2020

So great to have you be a part of this, Melissa! I love that you have the space/STEM background and also exploring yoga too!

1 Like

My name is Bessa Wahba and I live and work in Bayonne, NJ.
I have a Bachelorā€™s Degree in English Lit but went on to get my Masterā€™s in Education and in Educational Technology after teaching Technology and fell in love with it.
I teach K-8 grades in Bayonne. I am very passionate about tech and trying new things. I love to learn and am always challenging myself.
Hereā€™s me:

1 Like

My name is Angelique and I am located around Houston, TX
I have a degree in Computer Information Systems with a minor in Management. About 5 years after that I got my teaching certificate.
I currently teach Computer Programming/Science, Robotics, and Principles of Info Tech to 9 - 12th grade students at Crosby High School
I am passionate about CS and technology and so want to students to develop a passionate for it as well
twitter @CougPool

1 Like

So great to have you here, Bessa! We look forward to working with you!

Thanks for joining us @apoolchs! Iā€™m sure youā€™re exposed to a lot of space programs being in the Houston area! John-David with ASE used to live there as well!

Awesome! Hopefully it gets published soon. Iā€™d love to read it!

1 Like

Hello everybody! My name is Michelle Hart and I teach in Clarksville, Tennessee.I teach in the same district as Ruth Coats (my science bestie).
I have been married 31 years to my best friend and have 2 grown daughters.
This is my 31st year teaching and before you write me off as an oldieā€¦technology and science have completely rejuvenated my teaching. I teach 5th grade Math, Science, and STEM. I I have started an after school technology club and a competitive drone team at my school this year. I am a member of the National Air and Space Museumā€™s Teacher Innovator Institute cohort 2019. I love Spheros, Ozobots, and Iā€™m just getting my toes wet with Makey-makey. I am excited to be a part of this cohort and learn more about technology.
I have a Facebook and Instagramā€¦send me a friend request!!

3 Likes

Great to have you here, Michelle and also with your science bestie! We all need one of those!

So great to put a face to the name!! Sunny is a beautiful name, I bet it fits your personality!

Linda!!! Another science bestie!!!

Hahaā€“it probably only fits my personality about 50% of the time. Just ask my kids. :slight_smile:

Just wondered if we were supposed to put our thoughts and reflections from each of the three lessons this week on this thread. Thanks!

Great question @AerialCricket-212! You actually share your lesson thoughts on each of the lessons that you complete. You should see a link at the bottom of each lesson saying ā€œjoin the discussionā€. Let me know if you have a tough time finding it.

Hello, All!

Iā€™m Melissa Shirley. I teach freshman physical science, Physics (upperclassmen), and whatever else they need me to cover depending on the year. I work at a small rural school (Valley View High School in Germantown/Farmersville) southwest of Dayton OH (approximately between Indianapolis, Cincy, Columbus, and Toledo). Iā€™m originally from New Hampshire but have lived in 8 or 9 different states in the northeast. After starting college as a computer engineer, I switched to biological sciences and went into teaching after discovering that I am not cut out for a benchtop research career. Iā€™ve remained in education in various roles over the past 23 years, including high school and community college science teaching, professional development provider, university professor of science education, and curriculum development. Iā€™ve realized that my place is to be in the classroom for as long as I can do it. Iā€™ve become increasingly passionate about embedding coding and physical computing into the curriculum; I would like to have stand-alone courses but staffing and finances do not make that a reality at this point.

I type this at home surrounded by a 3D printer (currently making baby dragons for my biology students and some self-designed equipment for a physics equilibrium lab), too many books and puzzles to ever finish reading in my lifetime, and craft projects (knitting and quilting primarily). Oh, and my host of robot friends. Theyā€™re less trouble than a dog but not quite as cozy to curl up on the couch with!

Iā€™m looking forward to spending the next month with you all (virtually)!

-Melissa

1 Like

Great to have you here @ArdusatExplorer-9134! Hopefully this cohort will help spur some ideas so you can bring the physical computing aspect to your students! Itā€™ll be fun to collaborate on that!

Absolutely, feel free to reach out through here, over Twitter, or through the NGC course itself.

Yea Michelle! So excited to be on yet another journey with you!

Glad to see you here, Javier! Looking forward to working with you on this new opportunity!

Well hello, Ruth! We just keep running into each other!! Glad to see you here - let the fun begin again!

Hey everyone! My name is Patrick Petty and I am middle/high school science teacher in upstate New York. I teach in a small rural district in the same school where I grew up. Currently I teach all of our 8th graders physical science, have 2 sections of high school biology and also a section of high school physics. Outside of the classroom I coach cross country in the fall, basketball in the winter, and track in the spring. In my free time I love to travel and love to learn! I am excited to get started and meet everyone!

2 Likes