AstroSchool Cohort 2018

Welcome to AstroSchool 2018! We are thrilled to have you as part of the 2018 cohort. Take a minute and introduce yourself:

1. What is your name where are you located?
  2. What is your background?
  3. What, where, and who do you teach?
  4. What are you passionate about?
  5. Do you have social media accounts that you’d be willing to share so others from the cohort may connect with you (Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook)?
  6. Upload a picture of yourself (optional but recommended).

Back to the AstroSchool Lesson!

Hi everyone! My name is Lindsey Henderson. I spent 15 years teaching Mathematics and Science at East High School in Salt Lake City School District before joining the Because Learning team as the Director of Learning! I am passionate about inquiry, hands-on, and collaborative teaching methodologies to create life-long STEM-learners. I also love cats! I live in Salt Lake City with my wife, daughter, son, and kittens.

You can find me on the following social media platforms:

Twitter: @flippyfeets
Instagram: @flippyfeets
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lindsey-henderson-a0078288/

My family:

My Kittens:

1 Like

Hello, my name is Mary Gregory and I work and live in Monument, Colorado at 7,400 ft, beneath beautiful Pikes Peak. I have been teaching for over 30 years and created the Advanced Astronomy dual credit curriculum for my high school in addition to teaching Forensics, Earth Science, Chemistry and Algebra. I love all the sciences but am most passionate about Space and all the many unanswered questions, the enormity of space and how the universe works. I am not big on the social media for a number of reasons but feel free to contact me through my school account: mgregory@lewispalmer.org.
I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you and growing as an educator.

2 Likes

Hi there, my name is John Teuscher. I currently teach Tech and Engineering as well as STEM classes at Freedom Preparatory Academy in Provo, Utah. Over the past 12 years I have taught at Ogden Prep Academy in Ogden, Utah and was the Makerspace/STEM director at Thanksgiving Point, a collection of museums in Lehi, Utah. I also write STEM curriculum for STEM101 that connects corporations with the junior high classroom.

My passion is for everything maker in the classroom. My room is a makerspace in perpetual progress with many tools and toys at my teaching disposal. All of my assignments are project based learning experiences for my students and WE look forward to the new challenges presented by each new project. I can’t wait to learn from all of you and become a better teacher.

3 Likes

What is your name where are you located?
Hi! I’m Kristina Read and I live in sunny Austin, Texas!
What is your background?
I am a relatively new teacher, but have had several other careers working with animals, the video game industry, and finance! I have had a passion for astronomy and other sciences since I was a little kid. I was a weird little kid who thought that getting abducted by aliens would be an awesome adventure!
What, where, and who do you teach?
I currently teach 8th grade STEM at the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders (6th-12th public all girls school). My room is connected to our campus makerspace and our whole curriculum is project based. I will continue teaching 8th grade STEM next year but will also be adding an Astronomy elective for high schoolers as well as a class for 12th grade called Scientific Research and Design, both new classes for our campus.
What are you passionate about?
I have so many passions!! I would say I’m really passionate about the natural world - In my free time I love being outside, gardening, stargazing, camping and the like. I also love my husband and furry children to no end. I am also an avid crafter and calligrapher when I get the time.
Do you have social media accounts that you’d be willing to share so others from the cohort may connect with you (Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook)?
@read_kristina (twitter) you can also email me anytime at kristina.read@austinisd.org

3 Likes

Hi Mary! Pikes Peak is absolutely beautiful! My dad took me there when I was a child and I remember being awe struck at the beautiful scenery! I am excited to collaborate with you and to draw from your experience!

1 Like

Hi John! I am so excited that our paths have crossed again–yay! Your maker passion is contagious–I absolutely loved the vibe at Thanksgiving Point when you were there! I am excited to collaborate!

1 Like

Welcome Kristina! What an amazing and unique experience to teach at an all girls public school, I am excited to gain knowledge from your perspective!

1 Like

Hello! I am Maria Marsicano from Fairmont, WV.
My first career was programming Fortran in a glass factory in Wilkes-Barre, PA that is no longer in existence. From there I became a math teacher in WV. I have been teaching for 13 years and try to infuse technology whenever I can.
I teach math at Academy Programs in Fairmont, WV. We are a residential facility for troubled youth and I can have 6th graders to 12th graders in the same class. Luckily class size is limited to 12.

I am passionate about math and robotics. I love watching my kids figure things out. At home I like reading and craft sewing.
I have an instagram (@mom0sarah) and a facebook account (Redirecting...)

3 Likes

Hi I’m Adeena Teres from Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland FL. I have been teaching for the last 10 years. I am originally from the Philadelphia area. I went to the University of South Carolina and majored in Marine Science. I have taught Biology, Erath Science, Marine Science and AP Environmental. I teach in high school and this year I have mostly ninth graders and some tenth graders. I love running and Disney. I usually combine my two loves by running 10k and half marathons at Disney World in Orland. I also love watching movies especially sci fi and comic book based movies.
Twitter:@A_Ter8
Linked in:www.linkedin.com/in/adeena-teres-10baa0161/

3 Likes

Welcome Maria! We are thrilled to have your perspective and experience represented in AstroSchool! I’m having fortran flashbacks :grinning:. My father was a school teacher for 30 years at a troubled youth residential facility, I have much respect and admiration for you and what you do for your students! I’m looking forward to your contribution to AstroSchool!

Hi Adeena! I am so excited to have your Life Science expertise represented here in AstroSchool! I just got back from taking my kids to Disneyland–I’m a Disney nut too. As a matter of fact, when we made homemade churros last night for dinner, my son said “it smells like we’re in Disneyland again.” Welcome and I look forward to collaborating!

ShowImage

Hi Everybody! I am Eric Hartung and am a Middle School Science Teacher at Pressman Academy in Los Angeles, California. During the summer, I teach an Inventions class for Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth. I received a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Hospital Administration and Planning and worked in Hospital and Medical Group management for many years before deciding to become a teacher. My teaching credential is in the Geosciences and have been teaching science for twenty-one years. I am passionate about traveling and experiencing the world around me. Specifically, I am an avid National Park traveler.

3 Likes

Hi Eric! I am so happy to welcome another fellow Geoscientist to the group (I have a geology degree). I am excited to collaborate!

Hi everyone! We’re so thrilled to be working with you on this AstroSchool program!

My name is Sunny Washington and I’m the CEO and cofounder of Because Learning. I just had my 4 year anniversary come up of when we started the company! We’ve grown, made changes, and learned so much during the 4 years, but one thing that has never changed was our mission to really provide a better STEM learning experience. We have always felt that the teacher is the most important part of the recipe of a good STEM program and so we’re excited to collaborate with you all.

Just some background information about me–I’ve worked in edtech for over 15 years now and love interacting with educators and students. I have a husband, 2 daughters (one that just turned 6 weeks old today), and 2 labradoodles that drive me insane. I don’t tend to have much free time these days, but when I do, I love just spending the time with my family doing nothing.

You can follow me on Twitter @sunnywash.

Looking forward to connecting with you all!

2 Likes

Hi Teachers!

My name is John-David Bartoe (call me J-D) and I am an Officer of the Association of Space Explorers (ASE). The membership of ASE is entirely composed of anyone who has orbited Earth. There are over 400 of us from 38 countries. I flew on Space Shuttle Challenger in 1985, so I qualify :wink:. I was a PhD physicist conducting space research on our celestial neighbor, the Sun. Now retired, I do a lot of volunteer work for ASE.

A pillar of the ASE Mission Statement is “to educate and inspire future generations”, and that is why ASE is sponsoring the AstroSchool program. We know that teachers are in the critical path of student learning, so we want to help where we can.

Sunny Washington is the visionary behind BecauseLearning and Lindsey Henderson is the Architect and Brains behind AstroSchool. They are truly special people! My role at this point is to sit back and enjoy watching you and your students learn new stuff.

Thanks for signing up and have at it!

Dr. John-David F. Bartoe
Shuttle Mission STS-51F
@JohnDavidBartoe
@ASE_Astronauts
space-explorers.org

2 Likes

What is your name where are you located?
Hi My name is Jennie Malonek. I am located in Alhambra CA which is close to Pasadena

What is your background?
I got a BA and BS from UCLA a LONG time ago. My Masters is from CSUN and I am a ABD EdD in Ed Tech at Pepperdine.

What, where, and who do you teach?
I have taught for 33 years the last 25 at the same school. I have taught middle school, biology integrated science 1 and 2, AP biology, earth science and environmental science. Currently I teach anatomy and physiology, AP Computer Science Principles and Academic Decathlon. My school’s population is majority Latino and Asian

What are you passionate about?
I am passionate about reading, fur babies, home improvement, my students especially my AcaDec teams, UCLA sports

Do you have social media accounts that you’d be willing to share so others from the cohort may connect with you (Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook)?
I am on LInkedin and Facebook my nomdeguerre is eagleswings59.
I do not check either often.

Upload a picture of yourself (optional but recommended).

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,
Rhonda Howard here. I am in Tri-Cities, WA (Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland). I teach in West Richland, live in Pasco, and my husband (of 30 years this July) has a body piercing/tattoo business (20 years) in Kennewick, WA.

I taught first, second, third, fourth, and fourth grade gifted for nineteen years. Then I wanted to work with big people, so I moved to middle school. There I taught 6th grade LA and SS (regular ed and gifted), 7th LA, and 8th LA for ten years.

After 29 years teaching, I decided to get my librarian credentials. I was the librarian for two elementary schools before I achieved my goal - to be the librarian at our new STEM middle school - the first one in Richland, and the first school to go 1:1 with Chromebooks. This is our first year. I feel as though I’ve always been on an exciting learning curve, and these last few years have been steep.

My favorite part of teaching is not the kids It’s the LEARNING. I love to learn new things every day. My students are my best teachers if I listen and ask questions. It feels weird to admit that I love working with middle school students. They are such interesting people, experiencing the wild ride of transition from child to adult. I want to be that pillar of stability in their three year middle school tornado.

I’ve tried to figure out my super-power, and I think my best one is making connections. I love connecting with students. I love connecting books with other books, students, poetry, research, current events, music, other cultures, life experiences, memories… anything I can.

I’d love to hear what you consider to be YOUR super-powers.

I look forward to learning from all of you. This seems like an amazingly intelligent group, and I hope I can keep up!
Rhonda Howard
Leona Libby Middle School Librarian

2 Likes

I don’t have many pictures… But this is me (left) with my best friend Holli, from high school. She lives just 400 steps from my house, after living in several different states after we graduated. I wish you all could enjoy her cooking. She’s the best!

2 Likes

Hello from Texas!

My name is Gianluca Corsi and I am a Science teacher at Denton High School, in Denton TX. I am married to Kate who’s also a teacher and we have two awesome sons: Lorenzo and Francesco.

I have taught Science for over two decades in numerous settings. I love teaching so much that I can’t think of doing anything else in my life. My educational background is in Science and Research; I have a BS and MS in Forestry and Environmental Sciences and a Ph.D. in Education with concentration in STEM.

I am currently teaching IB Biology, IB Environmental Systems, Pre-AP Biology, and Physics; my students are mostly 9th, 11th, and 12th graders.

I am passionate about Science in general, STEM education as well as environmental conservation, and I love to inspire my students through teaching them about the wonderful world we live in and our role in it.

I do not have any social media accounts, but here’s a picture of me…
GC

…I look forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks!

Gianluca

2 Likes