About the Space Experiment category

Space Experiment FAQ:

Q: What satellite are running our mission on?
A: We are running our mission on one of Spire Global’s cubesats. The specific satellite is ‘LEMUR 2 GREENBERG’. You can look at their satellite constellation here. P.S. try speeding up the playback speed bottom right corner.

Q: What type of orbit is this satellite in?
A: We are excited that your satellite is in a near-polar orbit and gives you an opportunity to gather sensor data from nearly any location on earth! Check out this link to learn more about this orbit.

Q: How long can our mission collect data for?
A: You have a choice in how long your experiment runs. They are generally between 100min (about one orbit) to a few days. The major constraint is the amount of data that you can collect and download, please see the mission planning spreadsheet for these parameters.

Q: Where can we find detailed specs on the sensors that are present on the satellite?
A: Here is a list of the sensors with links to their technical data sheets. There are a few additional sensors like the high energy particle counter and IR array.

Q: What are some interesting sensors and areas of study?
A: Here are a few interesting sensors and possible areas that you can research:

• Nuclear Radiation Sensor
    Use the new RD3024 sensor that detects Beta and Gamma Radiation and X-Rays. What are the changes in high-energy-particles near the earth’s poles compared to the equator? Can we measure the northern/southern lights using this sensor?

• Infrared 16x4 pixel thermal array
    Be one of the first teams to work with this exciting new sensor MLX90621 that delivers a narrower field of view of earth with each of the 64 IR readings.

• Luminosity
    Using your missions light data can you track the satellite as it moves in and out of earth’s shadow.

• Earth’s Magnetic Field
    Does the satellite’s magnetometer readings correlate with NOAA’s geomagnetic models?

• RGB colors
    Can you see the blue of oceans verse the green of tropical forest? Can you create a picture of a portion of earth one color pixel at a time?

• UV light
    How does UV light reflection change based on land mass type, latitude or atmosphere/weather?

• Infrared Thermal Sensor
    How does surface temperature correlate with IR reading from space? Can you detect cloud cover over areas of the earth? What would you expect to see when taking IR readings on the windward and leeward side of Mt. Everest / Himalayas?

Q: I received my data and I am curious about all the data fields that are included in my file. Where can I find more information?
A: Check out our Satellite Mission Data Fields Information Guide–you’ll find a description for the 90 sensor values that we can access from the cubesats.

To check out current and previously run Space Experiments, click here!